|James D. Aubery|
|Title:||General Command Officer|
|Affiliation:||Starfleet (Exploration Command)|
Lieutenant (Junior Grade) James David Aubery, son of Vice Admiral David Aubery, is current serving Starfleet officer and decendant of a long line of military officers. He currently serves aboard Deep Space 9 under the command of Branch Admiral Starr.
- Serial number: JD 296-710
- Active rank: Lieutenant JG
- Position: General Command Officer
- Most recent assignment: Deep Space 9
- Previous assignments:
Aubery, born the 10th July 2386 aboard the cargo frieghter "SS Copella", is the only child of David and Charlotte Aubery en-route to Qo'nos. His father, then-Captain David Aubery has always been the highest role model for his son despite being away on assignment for most of his son’s childhood during both the Breen and Alliance Civil Wars. His mother, Charlotte, taught her son the difficulties of life as a near-single parent on Qo'nos, especially during the Civil War with his father choosing to side himself and his ship with Admiral Kyle Richards. He has learned to do things for himself and to do as requested without question for the benefit of others.
The news and images of both the Breen and Alliance Civil Wars galvanised Aubery to embracing his Terran roots and becoming deeply loyal to institutions. The concept of his nationality is a large part of his identity. This is reflected in some of his social attitudes, which seem to embrace an identity of the not too distant past. When pressed, Aubery seems to identify with the notion of helping to 'protect the realm', of 'serving the monarch' and the ideals embodied in the mythic notion of chivalry.
Fortunately for Aubery, his father decided to settle back into home life, accepting a lecturing position at the Alliance Academy shortly after his eighteenth birthday. He found that he had an affinity for sport that helped him make friends, and he was a starting midfielder on his school's soccer and cricket team for his last two years there, known for his skill with both the bat and ball. He was also a natural leader, and was appointed captain of both teams.
Starfleet was the natural choice for Aubery. His memories of his father and the stories he told of his grandfather and great-grandfather marked him out for nothing else. A desire to be in the command branch came from the combination of his own natural leadership ability and his desire to be the one out in front, however, his prowess at piloting directed him towards Flight Control but it remains one of his firm goals.
Starfleet Academy to Aubery was just a bigger, more realistic experience than the stories he had heard from his father. His flight instructor, Lieutenant Commander Walker, became another role model, nearly an idol to Aubery. As his mentor, Commander Walker gave more time to the young cadet, ensuring his skills were up to scratch before even moving on a touch. These teaching experiences have stuck with Aubery ever since.
Owing to a single-minded drive since childhood for a Starfleet career, Aubery has "never been a family man". However, when asked about having children of his own Aubery once replied that "wishing for a thing does not make it so." Lingering throughout Aubery's life is a series of unsuccessful romantic relationships, stemming in part from his introspective nature as a career officer and his self-professed desire to avoid long-term commitments.
Standing here before you is a well built human male of about six and and a half feet tall, the smell of leather and blood clinging to him like perfume. His outward appearance, whilst not striking shows signs of age beyond his years and much hardship. His deep emerald-green eyes appear rigid and cold, as they constantly flicker about, taking in the surroundings as if memorising them. His hair, shaved in a military-style along the sides though still long enough to style or part on top, almost at contrast with his eyes is a dirty blonde colour and streaked with grey. It wafts around him like muddy straw in the breeze, it's tendrils curling and moving of their own volition. His tanned face, all but void of emotion with only rare signs of ups, downs, or in-betweens, as with the rest of his body appears to be unmarked by visible or noticeable scars, although noticeably weathered as if to suggest he has spent a great deal of time outdoors amongst the elements. A week's worth of stubble perhaps covers this man's lower face and chin, grey pitting the black shadow to give an almost salt and pepper effect.
He wears the standard Starfleet two-piece duty uniform; consisting of a long-sleeved uniform jacket and matching slacks, both the color of midnight black. The jacket and slacks carry a trim of wine red that plainly states his department as Command. On the jacket it trims on the shoulders, separating the chest area, while on the slacks it runs down the outside of the legs to the same-colored uniform shoes. Upon the left side of the chest resides the Starfleet insignia; a silver outlined arrowhead against an uneven pair of gold trapezoids. On the right collar of the jacket sits single solid pip and a single open or black pip (oo) that denotes his rank of Lieutenant (jg).
Personality & Traits
Part of Aubery's private nature includes a difficulty in confronting deep personal issues, which then tend to become suppressed. Philosophically, he sees life and death as more than two choices of eternal or momentary existence. He believes there is another concept yet beyond human understanding. Genetic engineering with its pre-determination disturbs him, saying it robs humanity of the unknown factor that makes life worth living. Having to be patient in the presence of mounting problems, even if it is unavoidable or even the best path to take, is unsettling to him, nevertheless, he has shown a clear skill in knowing when to solicit opinions and when to act decisively. Aubery had few friends as a child and self-admittedly "skipped his childhood," due to his early, single-minded drive to join Starfleet. Aubery graduated at or near the top of his Academy class, even though he once failed an Academy class over a woman and was called at least once to the Academy superintendent's office.
Aubery keeps a healthy outlook on life with a wide variety of interests and recreational pursuits and enjoys pushing himself to the limit, both mentally and physically. Aubery's stress levels actually drop when the stakes are higher. He is prone to boredom and mild depression when not challenged. Aubery enjoys drinking and gambling, although the former seems to be a way for him to test his personal limits at times rather than a vice. Aubery has been known to gamble more than he can afford to lose, although he always gambles with a plan and a clear understanding of the odds. He enjoys Terran literature in its written rather than visual display, though he avoids acting or any other performance art himself despite an interest in classical music. He has studied semantics and keeps his Latin fresh, but has no interest in politics, dance or small animals.
Aubery seeks structure in his life. He is a man of pattern and habit. He has acquired strong tastes. He both thrives under structure yet finds subtle ways of rebelling against it. He is not self-destructive, but he can be a challenge to his superiors. Aubery uses humor as a shield and a weapon. He is skilled at making cutting remarks that reveal insecurities of others or mock death, danger and risk.
Aubery enjoys excellent health, thanks to a regimen carried over from his days as an athlete. He still finds time for fencing, racquetball and equine sports, but he does show a tendency for overwork, avoids formal vacations, and has reported bouts of insomnia. His aversion to annual physicals must also be noted and dealt with. He has sustained numerous injuries on occasion, none with long-lasting physical damage.
- 83600.69: Entered Starfleet Academy, Command & Flight Control (06/08/2405)
- 85173.5: Enrolled in secondary course, Security & Tactical (05/03/2407)
- 79652.73: Graduated. Commissioned Ensign (O-1) (27/08/2409)
- 79652.73: Assigned as Helm Officer aboard USS London (NCC-78240), then-CAPT LANE, G. commanding. (27/08/2409)
- 88491.59: Transferred to Deep Space 9 to await reassignment. (29/06/2410)
- 88493.83: Assigned as Helm Officer aboard USS Indomitable (NCC-64005), CAPT ADAMSON A. commanding. (30/06/2410)
- 89897.72: USS Indomitable deployed to Uldron Supply Depot on an emergency mission to investigate unusual sensor readings. (24/11/2411)
- 89930.93: USS Indomitable severely damaged by gravimetric anomaly, returned to DS9 under tow for repairs. (6/12/2411)
- 89952.32: Promoted to Lieutenant (Junior Grade). (14/12/2411)
- 89998.74: USS Indomitable sustains damage within the Badlands and involuntarily trespasses into Cardassian and Chrysalian space. (31/12/2411)
- 90015.91: Command and crew transferred to USS Yorktown (NCC-90014). NCC-64005 transfered to Utopia Planitia for repairs and refit of all systems. (6/1/2412)
- 90047.12: USS Yorktown suffers heavy damage defending Deep Space Nine from attack by a group known as 'The Coalition'. (18/1/2412)
- 90050.42: USS Yorktown returns to duty and Deep Space Nine after being the sole recipiant of repairs whilst at Spacedock. (19/1/2412)
- 92238.96: USS Yorktown suffers heavy damage in the Denorious Nebula due to a navigational system failure. (28/3/2415)
- 92298.75: Command and crew transferred to USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-G). NCC-64005 transferred to Utopia Planitia for repairs and refit of all systems. (19/4/2415)
- 92390.51: Transferred to Deep Space 9, BADM STARR D. commanding. (23/05/2415)
- 93298.77: Announced engagement to Miss Sophia Élisabeth Beauchamp of Chaumont-sur-Tharonne, France, Earth. (19/04/2416)
- 79652.73 Navigation/Helm Certification (27/08/2409)
- 79652.73 Unrestricted Line Officer (27/08/2409)