|Title:||Chief of Operations, Deep Space 9)|
|Affiliation:||Starfleet (Starbase Operations)|
Senka is the chief of operations and second officer of Deep Space 9.
Senka, son of Sovek, was born on January 21, 2355 (Star date 32998.7) in the city of T'Krev, Shanaikar, Vulcan. He is an only child. His father, Sovek, was a security officer aboard the USS Rutledge under the command of Captain Benjamin Maxwell and was killed during the action on Setlik III in 2362, during the Cardassian conflict of that time. His mother, T'Haniah, was a researcher at the Vulcan Academy of Science, a specialist in xenobotany. Upon learning of her husband's death, she took Senka, now 7, to the remote jungle world of Travasa near the edge of known space to conduct scientific research as part of a medical team exploring the medicinal properties of a certain type of newly-discovered root native to that world. They spent the next five years on that world, and Senka gained formative experience in an off-world environment among non-Vulcans.
They were on Travasa when news came of the fall of Earth to the Borg and the subsequent destruction of various inner worlds of the Federation including Vulcan itself. T'Haniah, like many, was dismayed and stunned by those tragic events which culminated in the loss of her ancestral home world. Yet, she was determined that she and her son accept the new order of things, and she sent him to the Vulcan colony of Evana at the age of 12 in 2367, so that Senka could complete his training in the Vulcan mental disciplines and advance his training in both formal logic as well as Cthia (reality truth), the Vulcan philosophy of emotional mastery. His studies progressed in good order, and his mother and he alternated visits between Evana and Travasa on a set schedule. Things might have proceeded indefinitely, except that his mother's transport was ambushed and destroyed by Orion raiders in the Dreval system in 2375.
Senka completed his early studies, and at the age of 30, enrolled at the recently founded University of T'Planahath, named for a matriarch of Vulcan philosophy and founded on the colony of Fendasa, a major population center of displaced Vulcans. He studied biology and xenolinguistics and proceeded to take a doctor of philosophy degree in xenolinguistics, followed by a medical doctorate (M.D.) from Sarek University on that same world. He completed his studies in 2407 at age 52 and worked as a doctor at various hospitals, moving on when Borg encroachments or ambitious, violent fringe groups made living conditions untenable. He served at colonial hospitals, philanthropic charity clinics, on small, independent freighters and transport ships, and on a number of independent space stations, usually as the medical officer and occasionally filling in as a linguist and translator. After years of unstable working conditions, promised pay that often never came or came in lesser amounts than his agreements and contracts specified, and working in places where medical ethics were not adhered to by colleagues and occasionally by superiors, Senka decided that Starfleet was the most logical outlet for his medical talents and his desire to work in a stable system that valued ethics. In 2420, he completed both a Starfleet officer's training course as well as a Starfleet medical procedures and protocols course, both of which he completed with distinction.
Today, Senka bears several characteristics that are possibly explicable by his background and only to an extent by the events that took place as a result of Locutus and the Borg. First, he is unbonded. His parents did not follow the tradition of bonding their child at age seven. Also, while possessing a rigorously logical mind and displaying the emotional control expected of the average Vulcan, he does not display any unconscious racial chauvinism concerning the behavior and thought patterns of less logical species. His childhood years away from Vulcan have given him insight into the ways other species make their way in the universe, even if their sometimes seemingly irrational methods of thought and behavior are not suitable for him. While he holds himself to strict standards of ethical and logical behavior, he also adheres to a central tenet of Surak stated in the oft-quoted expression, "infinite diversity in infinite combination."
Note: this information or what follows should not be known IC without appropriate roleplay to find it out. As of Spring 2437, Senka has three children: Sain, aged seven, and twin daughters T'Haniah and T'Ris, aged about 18 months. Sain is his son by his first marriage to the Vulcan-Betazoid Emily Williams, and he fathered the twins with his second wife, the Vulcan BDF navy reserve captain, T'Kela.
Senka's Various Relationships
There are a number of people with whom Senka has developed close and valuable professional relationships and personal friendships. A sampling would include:
- Alynn Astor-Cross (the current chief of Starfleet Medical),
- Tenek Seryl (currently assigned to Deep Space 9, including Tenek's previous host, Moriah Seryl),
- Kainon Essa (now the commanding officer of the Bajoran Defense Force Reserves)
- Aliyah Carey (a physician currently assigned to Deep Space 9 and known to Senka since her first days as a nurse)
- S'var (currently on assignment to the Starfleet Core of Engineers)
Some in the previous list have mentored Senka. Others not yet mentioned are less close to him personally, but deserve mention because of the effect they have had on his career. These would include:
- Adam Richard Cross II (Currently the commanding officer of Deep Space 9, an officer who has served as a commander of Senka's on multiple occasions and for more than half the Vulcan's present career. When it comes to Starfleet operations, how to get things done on the ground, and why myriads of things in the fleet work as they do, Senka considers Cross one of the most knowledgeable people he knows).
- Samuel Jamison Riley (currently assigned to Spacedock. Riley was Senka's first ever department head seventeen years ago aboard T'Sahehn's Enterprise. Since then they have served across multiple postings in multiple rolls. They don't always see eye to eye, but Senka knows he can rely on Riley's advice when Riley opts to give it especially as a fellow medical officer further advanced than Senka in the service).
- Dawson Jonathan Starr (Currently the second-highest ranking member of Starfleet. Senka took note of Starr as the person two of his other mentors and friends credit with their best instruction. Unfortunately, most of Senka's interactions with Starr have, due to various mistakes of Senka's, had to be less than pleasant. Still, he does not hold any of this against Starr and hopes to someday have illuminating conversations about Starfleet matters that don't include the Vulcan's own errors. As of today, this is still pending).
These lists don’t include everyone Senka respects or works well with, but they hint at his experience given his time thus far in service.
Note: you can use these as ooc guides if you want to start a new interaction with Senka. The following are good conversation topics or rp hooks if someone wants to do something:
- Vulcan history and culture
- Making holoprograms
- Any kind of medical mystery or discussion
- Current Events
- Other cultures and their practices
- Other cultures’ foods and beverages
- Gamma Quadrant Exploration Ribbon
- Letter of Commendation (***)
- Science Certification
- Letter of Reprimand
- Staff Corps Officer
- Medical Equipment Certification
- Transporter Certification
- Medical Triage Certification
- Unrestricted Line Officer